Bulky Waste to Wonder Competition 2023
About the Competition
Singapore generated 7.39 million tonnes of waste in 2022. This is not sustainable, and it is imperative for every one of us to adopt an eco-friendlier lifestyle. Our youths are the future custodians of our environment and hence it is even more critical to inculcate the civic-mindedness and cultivate the right values in them.
In partnership with the Ministry of Education (MOE) – Character & Citizenship Education Branch and J.O.E (Just One Earth) Eco Alliance, the Public Hygiene Council (PHC) is pleased to organise a nation-wide competition titled ‘Bulky Waste to Wonder Competition 2023’. It has been designed to provide opportunities for youths to rethink the use of bulky waste and showcase their ideas by redesigning and/or repurposing used bulky furniture into functional items. We hope that through the youths’ creativity and imagination, they can inspire others to think twice before dumping their bulky waste items. This will help us to achieve a more sustainable lifestyle and progress towards maintaining a truly clean and hygienic Singapore.
All secondary school students, option to participate as an individual or in group of max 3 pax.
Key Dates to Note
| 21 Aug 2023
| 26 Aug 2023
||Design Workshop (In-Person)
| 20 Sep 2023
| 29 Sep 2023
||Announcement of Finalists
| 29 Oct 2023
||Final Judging, Announcement of Winners & Prize Presentation Ceremony
The Evaluation Panel will judge the submissions based on the following criteria:
| Criteria / Weightage
| Creativity (30%)
- Originality of the design concept (i.e. should introduce fresh and novel concepts that are not commonly seen) / how well the design stands out from conventional furniture pieces
- Alignment with competition goal of reducing bulky waste and promoting environmental responsibility
| Functionality (40%)
- The practicality (i.e. design should not be just aesthetically pleasing but also serve a functional purpose in everyday use) and usability (i.e., design should cater to user comfort and convenience) of the repurposed furniture piece
- How well the design fit into various living / working context
| Sustainability (30%)
- Longevity of the design (i.e. should be robust and be able to withstand regular use, timeless design to ensure a long lifespan)
- Repurposing efficiency (i.e., design should maximise the use of waste materials and minimise the need for virgin materials
| Total: 100%
- First Prize: $750 cash
- Second Prize: $500 cash
- Third Prize: $300 cash
- Merit Prize x 2: $100 cash each
Terms and Conditions
- The competition is only open to secondary school students studying in Singapore.
- Option to participate individually or in a group of no more than 3 participants from the same school.
- Each individual or group is allowed to submit only one entry.
- Entry must be submitted online - no hard copies will be accepted.
- The submitted entry must be original and should not be a winning entry in any other competitions. The PHC reserves the right to request for proof(s) that an entry is the original property of the participant and submitted solely by the participant for this competition.
- The entry cannot contain third-party copyright logos or material and must not violate the rights of any person or entity, including copyright, privacy, or any other intellectual property rights. Upon submitting the artwork to this competition, the participant is solely responsible for any infringement of copyrighted materials.
- The judges' decision is final, and no queries will be entertained.
- Failure to comply with any of the conditions stated will be subjected to disqualification.
- The Organiser reserves the rights to disqualify any entries that do not adhere to the above rules.
How to Take Part
- Step 1: Download the Bulky Waste to Wonder Furniture Redesign Repurpose Template.
- Step 2: Design your creation using the template. Please note that your design, if chosen, may be subjected to modification to fit the actual furniture piece
- Step 3: Take a photograph, scan or export your artwork to jpg / png / pdf not exceeding 3 MB.
- Step 4: Submit your artwork with your personal and parent / guardian details, school information within the ENTRY FORM
All entries must be submitted no later than Wednesday, 20 September 2023, 2359 hours (Singapore Time). Late submissions will not be accepted.
Submit your finalised artwork via ENTRY FORM. Entries with incomplete information will be disqualified.
Design Workshop (In-Person)
An in-person workshop will be conducted by our furniture designer partners, JLL Design Solutions and Triple Eyelid, to equip participants with knowledge, techniques, and tips on how to work on a good design. You will get to meet industry designers and hear them share about their experiences too. Interested participants of the competition are strongly encouraged to attend the workshop.
Participants of in-person workshop will stand a chance to win limited edition giveaways. Light refreshments will also be served.
Only 80 seats are available, so register here to avoid disappointment! Registration for physical session is based on first-come-first-served basis and only successful registrations for the physical workshop will be informed via email.
Details of Workshop
Date: Saturday, 26 August 2023
Time: 10:00am to 12:00pm (Registration begins at 9.30am)
Venue: JOS & Sunon Sustainability Experience Centre
Address: 18 Robinson Road, #02-03, Singapore 048547
For those who missed the Workshop, click on the video below to catch up on the tips from our industry partners.
00:00 Start of Workshop
01:39 Welcome & Introduction by Ms Gloria Tan, Executive Director, Public Hygiene Council
10:25 Opening Address by Mr Andrew Khng, Chairman, Public Hygiene Council
20:05 Opening Remarks by Mr Joe Ogawa, Chairman, J.O.E Eco Alliance
35:00 Fundamentals of Good Design by Mr Clement Soh, Design Director, JLL Design Solutions
46:23 Introduction to Repurposing Furniture by Mr Jackie Tan, Founder, Triple Eyelid Studio
1:07:51 How to Submit Your Entry
- While all possible care will be taken during the verification of the Finalists' designs, the PHC will assume no responsibility for any loss or damage of the designs before, during and after verification.
- The copyright in all works and the ownership of the submitted works remains with the PHC and approval must be sought from the PHC for any use.
- By submitting an entry to the Public Hygiene Council (PHC), the Participant agrees to the terms stated above and allows PHC to share his/her personal data within the organisation, to collect and use the data, and to disclose the data to the organisation’s authorised service providers and competition sponsor, for the following purposes: To contact the award winners and / or participants to discuss any future exhibitions, public events related to their artworks and other art events.
- The PHC reserves the right to disqualify entries that do not comply with the rules and regulations, and to the works created in the actual event including the liberty to handle the works as it deems fit.
For further enquiries, please contact email@example.com